Thursday, December 11, 2008

REVIEW: JFK AIRPORT (NEW YORK) - TERMINAL 1

Terminal 1 is owned by a consortium of a handful airlines (Lufthansa, Air France, Korean and Japan Air). They rent gates to other carriers such as Aeroflot and Alitalia. However, due to the fact that Terminal 1 has only a handful of airlines operating out if this area, the gates are always open, plenty of room to move around and places to sit. Compared to the overused and cramped Terminal 4, this is heaven!

I took the AirTrain (review available) from Jamaica Station. I arrived at Terminal 1 at 7pm for my 9:45pm flight to Frankfurt, Germany. Of course, as a good passenger, I followed the airline's rule when I was told to be here 2 hours before my departure. The airline of choice for tonight's flight is Lufthansa. I went to the counter and there was no line. With no bags to check, the check-in process took no longer than 5 minutes. The TSA security line was completely empty. I moved to the front of the line, passed security and I am sitting in front of my gate at 7:20 writing this review... WOW! What to do with all of my free time...

So, I am looking for what to do and this is the only problem with this Terminal...

The food court is in the check-in area; before entering security. If you want to have a bite to eat before a red-eye flight (specially for those who want to sleep as soon as they plane takes off) they have to do it before entering the gate area. However, I rather make sure that I do not have the stress of thinking that I have to go through security. There are two Panini Express (one at each end of the terminal) but that's it. There is only one open bar, the Martini Bar, (there are two in total) at the end of the terminal.

Terminal 1 is full of over-priced stores such as Godiva, Bulgari, Cartier Duty Free and Hermes among many others. There are plenty of people browsing but not much buying... who can afford a $220 scarf? Not me! Rather wear my cheap but modern looking Old Navy one. However, I got sucked in by the bargains at Duty Free and got myself a bottle of wine and champagne-chocolate truffles! Yum, yum!!!

Wi-Fi is available but at a rather expensive price of $8.00 for one day. You can log in into the wireless system if you have T-mobile, Sprint or a handful of other accounts. But, since I do not have any of them, I would have to pay... which I am not!

I walked the entire length of the terminal and overall, is quite clean. The only problem is the bathrooms. From the moment that you walk right by them (not even inside) you get hit by the smell of urine. Inside is not any better. It did smell and looked quite disgusting. I tried to breathe a little as possible.

Terminal 1 is a good one to fly in and out of... but the fact that, once security is passed and inside the gate area, there is only 1 bar, not a restaurant in sight except for a quite expensive and cheap looking sandwich place, and many overpriced stores around. Remember that international passengers tend to show up quite early for their flights. Not to have place to eat or have a drink calmly, away from the boarding area, makes this terminal feel like a little bit of a trap.

But, for it saving grace, a handful of airlines that operate out of this airport, makes it spacious and a piece of heaven compared to the overused Terminal 4.

Bathrooms need to be given attention to and clean properly. Wireless should be free (like Denver and other major airports) to at least, give the passengers something to do while waiting for their flights.

No comments:

Post a Comment